Thursday, March 6, 2008

Emeline Update

OK, so here's the deal with Eme. Remember how her hands (knuckle joints) were swelling a few weeks ago, right after having strep. Well, she had what's called Post Strep Reactive Arthritis. After doing blood work and a urinalisis, the determined that there were still Strep "footprints" in her system. The best bet to beat this thing is to be Strep free for 1 year. So, she's on daily antibiotics (twice) for 1 year. That should be fun. But, I must say, it's better than the alternative, which is getting rheumatic fever, which we really don't want.

She's gonna go back to Childrens' hospital in Columbus for an echiocardiogram (like an ultrasound of your heart), to make sure the Strep still in her system hasn't hurt her heart. She seems healthy and normal to me, so I'm sure her heart will be just fine.

So, that's her update. She's feeling fine and healthy and doing great in school, just can't get sick for a while. So, while the rest of us are fighting off the bacteria (or catching them), she'll be fit as a fiddle, and germ free, for 1 year!

3 comments:

The McCullough Family said...

Oh my gosh. I bet that was scarey. no wonder I am such a freak about the kids getting sick. She looks great, and I am sure she will be the healthiest one in the house! Take Care, Eme.

Chris & Stephanie said...

Wow, that is crazy scary! Poor thing! I'm glad she's feeling ok though. We'll keep her in our prayers that all goes well with the echo!

Anonymous said...

Hey Bethany-email me, I lost your email...I am glad to hear good news for Eme-nobody wants to deal with their children being in pain. Let me know how your next appointment goes, and if you need help, Ashlee