Friday, October 3, 2008

Family Day at Fort Knox

So, today was family day at Ft. Knox. I headed off to base at about 8:15, and after sitting and waiting in the car for 15 minutes at the place I "thought" it was at, we were directed somewhere else th_001_smile.gif We all waited there until 9:00, and then waited some more - LOL! The term, "hurry up and wait" was tossed around a lot. At about 9:25ish, the head guy (yeah, not speaking Army so well - LOL!) told us the rules for the pass (no alcohol, no tobacco, no entering into contracts), and then they marched out the company.



We were all standing behind a white tape marker, and when the guys were finally released, it was a madhouse. DH saw me before I saw him, and he had a HUGE smile on his face! It was WONDERFUL seeing him again!!!! Here we are in front of his barracks.



I signed him out, then we headed for the rental car. The closer we got to the car, the more "normal" he seemed. I think he was having trouble switching out of "soldier" mode while still being there. Here's a pic from the parking lot. What a cutie! He's lost SO much weight since I sent him here!!! Holy cow!



We left base, and came back to my hotel. It was so nice to just hang out, and be "normal" again! It was like he'd never left. He was back to his happy, cheerful self th_001_smile.gif I feel a little bad, but I am SOOOOOO glad that I left the kids at home - hehehe!

We went out to lunch at Applebee's (let me tell you ladies, they just want to EAT!!!!! when they go off base - they're STARVING!), and a quick trip to Wal-Mart for supplies for him to take to OCS. Then back to the hotel.





We went out to eat at a Mexican Restaurant, which was FABULOUS! So yummy. Again with the eating. He REALLY had to focus on not just scarfing it down. I guess they regularly have to do that, and it's a hard habit to stop. Poor thing! Here's him with his "fried" ice cream. He was so full from the giant taco salad, that he could only eat a few bites.



The guys were supposed to be back at the barracks BEFORE 2100 (9pm). We were in the parking lot at 8pm, and just sat there and chatted. It was so nice. I think we're both "recharged", and ready for the next 16 week training. He'll have his cell phone for the next training, so it should be a lot better. Here's some pics, just before the guys got back into formation.




So, tomorrow at 9am is the Graduation. I get 15 minutes with him after graduation, then he gets on a bus for Ft. Benning. Wish me luck!!!!

8 comments:

Linda said...

I just read through your entire blog (LOVELY digiscrapping...I'm just getting into it, and saw your comment about keeping TOU...oops! Deleted every stinking one...but I mostly use one designer's kits, so I can always keep her TOU...and I'll be keeping the rest with the kids I download from now on, thanks!). Your hubby looks great, you both lost weight and look fantastic! I hope that his OCS at Ft. Benning goes well...it's not quite as structured as BMT, which is good.

Laughed at your comments about eating...when my hubby went to WOCS (Warrant Officer Candidate School), he had that same mentality...but even more important for him? SLEEP.

a said...

Awe, I'm glad that you enjoyed my blog :) My crazy life, but I enjoy it :)

Yes, we've both lost a lot of weight, and both feel SO much better :)

And yeah, OCS seems to be a LOT different feel than BCT. He already has his cell phone, and he says that they seem to treat them with much more respect. As it should be. These guys are all such hard workers, and great men :)

Yeah, I noticed Brent dozing a few times in the 10 hours that I had him on Thursday. Poor thing. So tired and hungry :) LOL!

Anonymous said...

I had no idea your husband went into the Army. How great! My husband's family is a big military family and it is interesting for sure. You guys look amazing!! Hope everything is well!

Anonymous said...

I'm very happy for you.
:)
I wanted to get a better picture of what family day would be like for me. In 36 days I go to Ft. Knox to see my boyfriend and I cannot wait! He doesn't have a graduation however. So I'm wondering if that means I'll get to see him two days instead of one?

I don't know what to expect.
contact me if you'd like to. It would help!

bengejr@email.uc.edu

good luck with everything,
Jennfier Benge

Carrie Hiller said...

I have a question. Do they have to have an immediate family member sign them out?

My husband is at Fort Knox, but I'm driving his battle buddy's girlfriend down with me and she's worried that he won't be able to leave with her because they're not married and she's not immediate family. Was there anything mentioned about who can or can not sign them out because I haven't been informed of such.

Thank you so much for your time!

Unfortunately this is short notice because we are prepared to leave this Friday, Sept. 4!!

You can respond to: carrierymnd@yahoo.com

Thank you again for any information.

Unknown said...

Hallo Bethany!!!!
Am so glad to have found your blog. I've really been looking for peoples experience on graduation at Fort Knox especially going with kids. my husbands there doing his BCT. we have four kids between 9 and 2 years. We are in New York city and plan to drive to KY together with other family members. so far my husband thinks I should fly there alone and rent a car. He says what he really wants is to spend time with me.
Please help with some advice from your experience.Thank you!!!

a said...

Nellie

I'd say leave the kids, and come alone. I know that my hubby was SO excited to see me. He only had about 10 hours to spend with me, and the MAIN thing he wanted to do is eat - ROFL! Me? Well, I had other things on my mind, but food was on his.

We went to a restrauant, and he ate like there was no tomorrow. Then, we went back to the hotel, and, well, we were there for a few hours, then we went out to eat AGAIN. More food.

Back to the hotel (hehehe), then dessert, then took him back to post.

Really, it was SUCH a nice day with just the 2 of us, and I really think it wouldn't have been as special with the kids. We have 5.

For graduation, I didn't get to see him before, I couldn't pick him out of the crowd during (I just aimed the camera in the direction of his group), and I got to see him for 15 minutes after. They loaded him on a bus and shipped him off to his next training.

SO, I'd say, let the kids stay with family/friends, and come by yourself. When the guys get out, it takes them a while to re-adjust. To get out of army mindset. If just you are there, then he can just adjust to being a husband. If you and all the kids are there, he'll have to wear both hats. Know what I mean?

Hope this helps! If you want to chat about it some more, my email is bnbharty@gmail.com

thanks!

Anonymous said...

Thank you so much for your info'.......I get to go alone....I know it's such a short time with him coz his graduation is at 11.00 a.m. but I'll take anything!!
Thank you again!